Friday, March 5, 2010

I'm Known, But Sometimes I Would Just Rather Be Liked


I had a little light bulb moment today, aided by an article by a psychotherapist on the topic of relational communication. Don't stop reading because it sounds to nerdy and technical, because this article really has some very good nuggets to think about, and applies to everyone.

As I have written about previously, I struggle with relationships, and it is a source of immense frustration and continuing pain for me. It's particularly bewildering because I have struggled to understand why, and it's all to easy and tempting to think I must be flawed somehow. But this article had some insights that have begun to shed some constructive light on this issue for me.

The article entitled, "Would You Rather Be Known or Liked?", describes two types of individuals based on how they prefer to relate to others. Those who would rather be liked are invested in keeping their relationships peaceful, stressing commonalities, and they shy away from really revealing how they may feel about things in a effort to preserve this peace. Those who would rather be known, on the other hand, crave real and authentic conversations, even when there is disagreement, and they declare their positions to see how others will react.

The problems arise when a "liked" and a "known" are trying to communicate, and the article offers some useful tips for both types to carry on with the other.

What are your thoughts. Are you in the "liked" camp, or the "known" camp more predominantly? Considering your current relationships, do you think this is a factor in whom you feel most drawn to, or frustrated by?

Photo by shadphotos

1 comment:

  1. I'm a "known" and dh is a "liked." It drives me nuts sometimes, but dh prefers to pretend all is peaceful even when it is not. I prefer everything to be known and then if I find something that challenges me, I'm intrigued and know it is something for me to work on how I feel about it. I can handle people who are "liked" even though I can not truly understand what it is like to live that way. What really drives me crazy are people who pretend to be one, but are actually the other. It is incredibly dishonest. I'm working on my issues with this.

    ReplyDelete

You've got something to add...shoot!